YourScreen, an online streaming platform has enabled community cinemas including ourselves the opportunity to watch films at a discount and raise funds for our cinema. The film we have chosen to have as a ‘group watch’ is ASUNDER on the 16th April. We planned to screen this film at the end of last year but couldn’t for the obvious reason so we’re really pleased to have the chance now.
Asunder tells the story of what happened to an English town during the First World War, with almost all of its men abroad fighting and its women and children left behind. Using footage from 96 separate archive films and contemporary footage and audio, Asunder collages the stories of people from Tyneside and Wearside to uncover what life was like on the home front, with bombs falling on Britain for the first time, conscientious objectors sentenced to death, and women working as doctors, tram conductors and footballers. The narrative moves from an Edwardian golden era, in which sport grew in popularity and aircraft and cars pointed to a bright new future, to a war that horrifically reversed this progress. In the Battle of the Somme, British, French and German armies fought one of the most traumatic battles in military history. Over the course of just four months, more than one million soldiers were captured, wounded or killed in a confrontation of unimaginable horror. A film by Esther Johnson, with a soundtrack composed by Sunderland’s Mercury-nominated Field Music and Newcastle’s Warm Digits, performed with the Royal Northern Sinfonia and The Cornshed Sisters. The narration for the film is voiced by journalist Kate Adie, with the actor Alun Armstrong as the voice of the Sunderland Daily Echo & Shipping Gazette, written by co-producer Bob Stanley. There’s also an attachment on this email to find out more.
We’re inviting everyone to watch the film at the same time and join a Zoom session before and after to chat about it but if you prefer to watch at another time you can still use the same discount code until the 23rd May. To watch the film you need to:
- Go to the site YourScreen Asunder
- Click on the image of Asunder
- Click on the ‘watch £9.99’ Button (but it isn’t going to cost this!), you’ll be asked to create an account, email and password only
- After creating an account or signing in you’ll be taken back to the payment window. Note here that once the film is rented it will be available in your account for 28 days but once you press ‘play’ you’ll have 48 hours to watch the film as many times as you like.
- Tick the ‘I have a promo code’ box
- Enter our unique code LHYSS325 and the price charged will be £5.99 You can also use this code for any of the other YourScreen films for a 25% discount and Lucem House will also receive a payment.
- Enter your card details and press WATCH when you are ready (Friday 16th April at 730pm)
- Enjoy the film!
We do hope you’ll be able to join us to watch this unique film, any queries please get in touch.
78 Corporation Street
St Helens WA10 1GQ
|Screenings||5 Apr 2021 at ANYTIME|